Yesterday was National Eat a Cupcake Day. Uh, OK. Don’t have to tell me twice.
Today is National Strawberry Shortcake Day. Um, yes please.
So for all us indecisive
lazy types, such as myself, I put the two together.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.
These aren’t a regular yellow cake. They are kinda, sorta vanilla cake(ish) but denser like a biscuit. You might even say a bit dry, but each bite of deliciously sweetened, macerated berries creates a nice balance. They also seem to firm up a bit in the refrigerator as these need to be refrigerated due to the whipped cream cheese frosting. Oh that frosting! The cream cheese in the sweetened whipped cream is light and not overly sweet and gives this shortcake a flavor unexpected in a traditional strawberry shortcake. This frosting would be delicious on any kind of cake. It holds its shape like a stabilized whipped cream and has enough density to keep the strawberry on top firmly in place. I will be adding this to my fave frosting list for sure.
Enjoy berry season!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
1 ¼ c. sugar
¾ unsalted butter, softened
3 oz. light cream cheese, softened
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan cups; set aside.
- Combine 1 ¼ cups sugar, butter and 3 ounces cream cheese in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add milk, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Continue beating until smooth. Stir in flour.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin pan cups. Bake 25 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Place strawberries, ¼ cup sugar and cornstarch in 1-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and is slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Remove 1-inch piece of cake from center of each cupcake using a sharp knife or cupcake corer; discard cake piece
pop it into your mouth. Fill hole with about 1 tablespoon strawberry filling.
- Combine 5 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Slowly add whipping cream, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Frost cupcakes; garnish each with strawberry slice.
Recipe from Land O’Lakes