It’s cold. Real cold. And dreary. Super dreary.
Baking something sweet and pretty, really helps.
Baking something sweet, pretty and so easy it isn’t even funny. Therapeutic!
I haven’t had puppy chow in years. Or shall I say “In a dog’s age”? Sorry, that was lame.
If you have never had this stuff, you’ve got to make it. It’s candy and sugar coated Chex cereal tossed with other yummy stuff. There are endless recipes out there, but today I’m going to share a perfect Valentine treat. Nina had a bake sale and she demanded everything be pink. So we gave these a try and they were a huge success.
Puppy Chow is the perfect Valentine party treat
When Nina came home on the day of the bake sale, I asked her what she bought. She rattled off all sorts of frosted cookies and mini cupcakes.
“Didn’t you even get some of your own treats?”
“Mom! By the time I got there, they were gone! My friends said you make THE BEST bake sale treats you just didn’t make enough! For realz!”
I must say, I do make some rocking bake sale treats in cute little packages. It’s all in the marketing, by the way.
This recipe totally revived my love for these tasty, bite-size bits of heaven. I am already gathering new recipes to try out. The strawberry cake mix in this recipe is really awesome though.
Warning: These are highly addictive and are not diet friendly. Unless eaten one at a time, veeeeery slooooowly. Then they are totally calorie free. Ok, not really. But you can tell yourself that if you must.
- 5 ounces white chocolate chips
- 5 ounces red candy melts
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup strawberry cake mix
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ package valentines chocolate M&M’s
- Divid the Chex mix into two bowls. (2½ cup in each)
- In microwave safe dish, melt the 5 ounces white chocolate chips. Add ½ teaspoon shortening so that the chocolate spreads evenly evenly. Microwave 30 seconds at a time and be careful not to burn the chocolate. Dump this in the first bowl of Chex and mix evenly to coat all of the Chex cereal.
- Melt the red candy melts in the same manner. Once melted, pour this over the second bowl of divided Chex and mix until coated.
- In two gallon size ziplock bags, put ½ cup strawberry cake mix and ¼ cup powdered sugar in each bag. Dump each bowl of Chex mix in each bag and shake until coated with the powdered sugar and strawberry powdered cake mix.
- Mix in the M&M's
- Package in little cello bags with pretty ribbon for a sweet little Valentine treat.
Recipe adapted from the fabulous Alyssa at The Recipe Critic